///////////MAINTENANCE911.COM//////////////////////MAINTENANCE911.COM///////////MAINTENANCE911.COM///////////

Maintenance 911 Forums

Your participation and expertise in our forum will help others in the industry learn from your experience and knowledge. If you have a question, post it. If you see a question and have an answer, please post that, also. Together we will make our industry stronger and more respected.

NOTE:  Our forum will always remain free to post questions, answers and comments. We do, however, require you to set up an account on this website in order to participate. Create your website account here. And remember - Please keep it clean, and be respectful.

Home Forums Plumbing Iron or Plastic

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      normacvillarreal
      Participant

I want to change the way my bathroom was set up. There are old iron pipes. Should I exchange them for plastic pipes or get new Iron pipes?

Thanks!

scott
      Participant

If you are planning to redesign your bathroom it would be better to cut the iron pipe back as far as possible and replace it with PVC piping of the same size. PVC piping is much better for a few reasons 1) it is easier to repair or replace 2) it is impervious to most chemicals and chemicals with acid and will not corrode or have reaction to drain cleaners as iron piping most usually does.

I hope this helps you with your project, good luck

normacvillarreal
      Participant

Thank you! I appreciate it.

scott
      Participant

If you are going to redesign your bathroom it would be best to cut back the cast iron pipe as far as possible and replace it with PVC piping of the same size. Cast iron piping was used many years ago and at that time we were not using as many chemicals as we do now, for insatance some of the chemicals used to unclog drains has acid in themand this will slowly eat away at galvanized and iron pipes. PVC piping is impervious to most chemicals and is much cheaper and easier repair or place.

I hope this helps you, good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.